Heart of Canal Street: Potawatomi Hotel & Casino announces 20 charities to benefit
MILWAUKEE — For more than two decades, Potawatomi Hotel & Casino has provided meals for hungry children, safe places to stay, supplemented youth education and much more through its signature community program, Heart of Canal Street.
To this day, Heart of Canal Street continues to help fund the missions of 31 local children’s charities annually.
Twenty of those organizations from around southeastern Wisconsin were randomly selected Tuesday, November 10th to benefit from the property’s annual program.
“We’re happy to have selected an incredible group of charities to participate in Heart of Canal Street,” said Potawatomi Hotel & Casino Bingo Director Melanie Martin. “There are so many wonderful charities who do such amazing things for our youth in southeastern Wisconsin. We are thrilled to help fund these efforts.”
This year’s Heart of Canal Street randomly selected charities include:
- Best Buddies Wisconsin, Wauwatosa, Wis.
- Sunset Playhouse Inc., Elm Grove, Wis.
- Family Center of Washington County, West Bend, Wis.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Dodge County & Watertown, Watertown, Wis.
- Aurora Health Care on behalf of Aurora @ Home, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Wildlife In Need Center, Oconomowoc, Wis.
- Urban Ecology Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Know Thyself, Mequon, Wis.
- ArtWorks for Milwaukee, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis.
- Arts @ Large, Milwaukee, Wis.
- RUACH Inc. Arts Organization, Glendale, Wis.
- Mequon Nature Preserve, Inc., Mequon, Wis.
- Renaissance Theaterworks, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Florentine Opera Company, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Casa Guadalupe Education Center Inc., West Bend, Wis.
- Safe & Sound, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis., Milwaukee, Wis.
- River Revitalization Foundation, Milwaukee, Wis.
- The Threshold Inc., West Bend, Wis.
- The Nehemiah Project, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Riveredge Nature Center, Saukville, Wis.
In addition to the randomly selected charities, 10 signature charities and Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s Charity of Choice, Milwaukee Area Workforce Investment Board, were selected by the program’s media partners and announced in August.
- Betty Brinn Children’s Museum—presented by com
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee—presented by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- City Year Milwaukee—presented by the Lamar Outdoor
- COPE Services—presented by Entercom Radio
- Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization (HALO)—presented by iHeart Media
- Hunger Task Force—presented by Milwaukee Radio Group
- Milwaukee Public Library Foundation—presented by WITI FOX 6
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin—presented by Clear Channel Outdoor
- Sharon Lynne Wilson Center of the Arts—presented by WISN TV 12
- The Women’s Center—presented by Scripps
Heart of Canal Street funds are raised primarily through special Canal Street bingo games played during every bingo session. The fundraising total will be announced during a special event held at the casino December 11.
Since its inception in 1994, the Heart of Canal Street program has made over 550 donations totaling more than $14.6 million to fund children’s programs throughout southeastern Wisconsin.
Eligible charities applied during a call for entry period which closed in June. Eligible organizations must have 501(c) (3) status, serve a primary client base of children younger than 18 and be located within Milwaukee, Racine, Washington, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Dodge, Jefferson, Kenosha, Sheboygan or Walworth counties. A complete list of submission guidelines is available at www.paysbig.com/miracle.