Fond du Lac residents escape overnight duplex fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOND DU LAC — Two residents of a duplex in Fond du Lac managed to get out of their building safely early Sunday, April 10th — after a fire started in their home.

Firefighters were dispatched to the duplex on National Ave. just before 3 a.m. Sunday.

Once they arrived on the scene, fire crews found a fire on the rear of the second floor deck — and it extended inside the structure. The fire was quickly extinguished but not before it caused some structural damage and moderate smoke damage throughout.

One resident was taken by paramedics a hospital for evaluation. Another resident was being taken to the hospital by a family member.

The cause of the fire appears to have been improperly discarded smoking materials. There were working smoke alarms sounding.

The Red Cross assisted the displaced residents.