MILWAUKEE -- Does it ever feel like summer just gets crazy busy? Don't let it be an excuse to not cook healthy meals at home. Heather Ferber with "Better Healthy by Heather.com, joined Real Milwaukee with a meal you can make now and freeze for when you need it.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 4 med. carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 med. Yellow squash, diced
- (1) 8oz. can water chestnuts, drained and finely diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP. fresh, grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow or red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1# ground chicken, preferably hormone free/organic
- 1/3 C. bottled plum sauce, preferably low sugar/chemical free
- 2 TBSP tamari
- 2TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili paste
- 1-2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce
- salt, pepper, curry, thyme, cayenne, cilantro, cashews, rice noodles to taste
Coat skillet with a bit of olive oil and heat pan over med-high heat.
Add carrots, celery, squash, water chestnuts, scallions, ginger, garlic and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until veggies soften, about 5-7 min.
Add ground chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink, using a wooden spoon to break meat into fine pieces.
Season with salt, pepper, thyme, curry and cayenne pepper to taste.
Stir in plum sauce, tamari, vinegar and chili paste.
Reduce heat to low and simmer until heated through.
Fill lettuce leaves with mixture.
Once cooked, allow mixture to cool on stove and place in freezer safe container. Thaw overnight in fridge when ready to reheat and use. Top with fresh cilantro, cashews and rice noodles when serving. You can store up to 3 months in the fridge.