MILWAUKEE -- Breakfast -- it may be the hardest part about sending kids back to school. That's why local mom Heather Ferber of Better Health by Heather is back with some breakfasts you can prep once and eat all week.
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- ½ cup homemade almond butter (or organic store-bought nut butter)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ ground flax seeds
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ cup assorted nuts, finely chopped (can be a variety of any nuts you like!)
- optional add-in’s: coconut flakes, cacao nibs, dried berries
- Mix dry ingredients in bowl.
- Add in almond butter (or peanut butter) and honey and mix well. (Use additional nut butter if needed to reach desired consistency.)
- Mix in any nuts or optional add-in’s.
- Place bowl in fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Once chilled, roll into bite size balls.
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes about 20-25 balls.
TROPICAL GREEN SMOOTHIE
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 cup mango
- 1/2 banana
- 1 teaspoon sprouted flax
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder
- handful of mint leaves to taste
Take frozen smoothie packet (which contains the spinach, pineapple, mango and banana) and add to 3 cups water. Blend all ingredients well. Then add in flax, protein, mint leaves and any other desired boosters and blend again. Use additional water to thin or ice cubes to thicken.