MILWAUKEE -- How do you man any sandwich better? Throw some cheese on it! In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica recreates the famous "Gizmo Sandwich" from the Minnesota State Fair.
Homemade Gizmo Sandwich
Make 4-6 sandwiches
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jars of pizza sauce
- 12 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 6 hoagie rolls
- In a sauce pan, combine pizza sauce and Italian seasoning on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a large frying pan, sauté onions, green peppers, and garlic in olive oil until slightly translucent.
- Add fennel seeds, sauté for another minute. Add meat and brown.
- Once mixture is combined and cooked, spoon meat mixture into sliced hoagie bun.
- Top with pizza sauce and 2 slices of mozzarella cheese, enough to cover all the meat and edges of bun.
- Broil entire sandwich until cheese is melted.