MILWAUKEE -- Fall is the perfect time to whip up a batch of soup. But you don't have to slave away for hours to get it done -- Angelica has a recipe that only takes seven ingredients. It's a creamy gnocchi and sausage soup.
Creamy Gnocchi & Sausage Soup – ONLY 7 INGREDIENTS!
Courtesy: Gimme Some Oven
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage (NOTE: You can use sweet/mild sausage if you don’t like spicy, but it tastes so much better!)
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 1 bunch of kale, roughly chopped (and stems removed, if desired)
- 1 lb (16 oz) potato gnocchi
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: freshly shaved or grated Parmesan cheese, crumbled bacon
1. Add Italian sausage and diced onion to a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is completely browned, stirring and breaking up the sausage with a spoon. Drain out as much excess grease as possible.
2. Add in the chicken stock and diced roasted red peppers, and bring the mixture to a simmer (still over medium-high heat). Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and add the kale and gnocchi and stir to combine.
3. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the gnocchi are cooked through and tender. Stir in heavy cream. Season to taste with salt & pepper. ( ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper suggested).
4. Serve warm with desired toppings.