GREEN BAY — Students have left a Green Bay elementary school for the day after a mercury scare.
The students at Lincoln Elementary were dismissed at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, about an hour after the normal time, after being checked for mercury.
School officials say a group of fifth-graders had been playing with what was believed to be a vial of the highly toxic substance.
Principal Angela Hager says a student brought the vial from home. Six students were playing with the vial on the playground and brought it back into school.
WLUK-TV reports the building was evacuated until firefighters determined the cafeteria was safe and allowed students and staff in there.
Firefighters checked all the students and determined there were no immediate medical concerns. A hazardous material team also was called in.