MILWAUKEE -- Get ready to pour a glass of holiday cheer. Chef Alisa Malavenda joins Real Milwaukee with some Christmas-themed cocktails.
Winter Wonderland Snow Globe Cocktail
To Make Snow globes- use various size and height round bottom glasses
- Fresh springs of rosemary for snow globe and rosemary gimlet
- Cocktail onions – 3 on a toothpick for snowman
- Disco dust or edible glitter
Put water in the bottom of the glass about ¼ “ and freeze slightly – anchor rosemary ( as the tree) and the onion snow man , and add more water – freeze over night.
Make the rosemary simple syrup :
Cring ½ sugar, ¾ C water and 1 sprig rosemary to a low simmer over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Let sit 30 minutes, strain and cool. Set aside.
Per cocktail – add to shaker
- 2 oz of gin or vodka
- 1 oz lemon juice ( meyer lemon when available )
- 1 oz of the rosemary simple syrup
Pull snow globe glasses out of freezer when ready to serve. Sprinkle with a little edible glitter or disco dust and pour strained cocktail SLOWLY to make a snow globe
Note: You can make this kid friendly by using white covered raisins for the snowman and marshmallow Christmas tree for globe with sprite.
The Red Nosed Reindeer
- 3 oz chocolate liqueur like Godiva
- 1 oz espresso liqueur or Kahlua
- 1 oz vanilla vodka
- 1 oz half and half
- chocolate syrup
- cherry for red nose
- antler markers or broken pretzels
Mix chocolate liqueur, Kahlua, vodka and half and half in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake. Pour a little chocolate syrup on the bottom of cocktail glass, strain cocktail mixture into glass – garnish with cherry for the red nose on front of the glass and markers or broken pretzels for antlers
Note: You can make this a kids version by using plain chocolate milk
Frozen- “Let it Go”
- Blue Raspberry Cotton Candy
- 1.5 oz Tequila
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- .5 oz blue curacao
- seltzer to top
Combine ingredients except seltzer in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake . Place a mound of cotton candy in a martini glass, pour cocktail slowly into glass over cotton candy and watch it melt all your stress away. Top with seltzer for a less sweet version.
For an elegant version of this cocktail, simply pour champagne over the cotton candy.
Note: You can make this kid friendly by pouring sprite over the cotton candy.
Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 1 t agave nectar
- .5 oz lime juice, plus a wedge and wheel to rim glass
- 1 spring mint
- 6 cranberries or pomegranate seeds
- Ginger Beer
Run the lime wedge around the cocktail glass and dip into sugar to rim the glass.
Carefully fill the glass with ice and set aside.
In a cocktail shaker , muddle mint, 3 cranberries or pomegranate seeds, agave nectar and lime juice. Fill with ice and add the vodka, give it a shake to mix and then add the ginger beer- stir to mix ( do not shake )
Carefully pour into glass so you don’t melt the sugar rim and garnish with rosemary, mint or thyme- a lime wheel and a few pomegranate seeds or remaining cranberries.
You can replace sprite for vodka and use non alcohol ginger beer for a non alcohol version.
Peppermint Candy Cane Martini
Make a martini or coat a shot glass with crushed peppermint candy cane for a fun holiday shot
- 1 oz peppermint schnapps
- 2 T white Crème di Cacao
- ½ C half and half
- splash grenadine
- small candy cane crushed to rim glass or for garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a pitcher and keep chilled
- Pour into shot glasses or martini glass and serve with garnish
The Fruit Cake Cocktail (That You Won’t RE-Gift)
- 1 Cup Bourbon
- ½ C Dried Fruit like cherries, figs and apricots
- Step dried fruit in bourbon at least over night and up to 1 month
- 2 oz dried fruit bourbon mixture
- .5 oz Frangelico or amaretto
- .5 oz lemon juice
- splash of tart cherry grenadine ( or regular)
- 3 droppers of orange bitters
Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Pour into a martini glass and garnish with a luxardo cherry and orange peel
Hot Buttered Rum Mix
Keep this mix on hand for ice skating tree trimming , caroling or sitting by the fire on a cold winters night. Also makes a great gift in mason jars.
- 1.5 Cups dark brown sugar
- ½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1.5 T agave nectar or honey
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 t each of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
- pinch of clove
Using a hand mixer , blend all the ingredients together. Store ingredients in a small mason or tight sealed jar and keep under refrigeration.
To make hot cocktail
In a heat resistant glass or mug put 1.5 -2 oz rum. Add one tablespoon of the mixture. Fill with hot water. Stir until melted and enjoy
Note: Also delicious with Bourbon for a modern twist and use hot apple cider instead of water for a Hot Bourbon Ball Cocktail
Mixture good for one month in refrigerator ( if it lasts that long )