MILWAUKEE -- You're buying last-minute gifts, wrapping presents and preparing a big holiday meal -- who has time to cook dinner tonight?! Heather Ferber of Better Health by Heather joins Real Milwaukee with a casserole you make now and eat when you need it.
Black Bean, Chicken & Veggie Enchilada Casserole
- 3 medium hormone free chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers (mild), drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce
- 12 non-GMO corn tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded & organic if possible
- optional toppings – organic sour cream, avocado, fresh lime, fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare chicken. Allow it to cool. Chop/shred into smaller pieces.
- Sauté the cooked chicken with black beans, cumin, chili powder, and coriander until well blended. Set mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté red pepper, green pepper, onions, spinach, zucchini and chile peppers for two minutes.
- Mix the chicken and black bean mixture together with the veggie sauté.
- In a 9x13 pan, pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 6 corn tortillas into the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Place a layer of the meat/bean/veggie mixture down.
- Put 1 ½ cups cheese on top of the veggies mixture
- Lay down 6 more corn tortillas.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9.
- Top the casserole with the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes with a foil cover. Remove cover to crisp up at end of baking time.
- Allow to cool 8-10 minutes prior to serving.
- Top with fresh cilantro, avocado, sour cream and lime juice if desired.