Dense fog advisory for parts of SE Wisconsin until 7 a.m. Tuesday

Safety alert: Magnetic toy danger

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

We’ve got a safety alert from Consumer Reports about some controversial super strong magnet set that have been banned since 2014. They caused many life threatening injuries -- especially among children and teens. Now a Federal court has overturned the ban and they are back on the market. Here’s what you need to know to keep your children safe.


These magnets are so strong that if they are swallowed, they can pull together with enough force to punch holes along different sections of the digestive system. The founder of Zen magnets maintains they are “perfectly safe when properly used.” There are also warnings about possible injuries on the website and in the packaging.


But Consumer Reports urges parents to use extreme caution and recommend that you avoid having these magnet sets if there are any children in the home. if you had strong magnet sets in the past look for and throw away any magnets that might have gotten loose in your house to protect your children and teens.

Consumer Reports

Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports’ website. Subscribe to

All Consumer Reports Material Copyright © 2017 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Consumer Reports is a not-for-profit organization that does not accept advertising and does not have any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.