MILWAUKEE -- Winter is about to return -- so warm up with a bowl of soup. Angela Horkan from the Wisconsin Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp to share her recipe for beef and mushroom stew.
Beef & Mushroom Stew
- 4 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, separated, peeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (13-3/4 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 envelope (0.9 ounce) onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 pound assorted small fresh mushrooms, such as button, cremini and shiitake
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
Combine flour and pepper; lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stock pot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/4 of beef; remove beef. Repeat three times.
Add onions and garlic to stock pot; cook and stir over medium heat 3 minutes. Add wine; cook and stir until browned bits attached to pan are dissolved. Stir in broth and soup mix until blended.
Add mushrooms and beef to stock pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes. Add carrots; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef is fork-tender. Add peas; simmer 5 minutes.
Beef and Green Olive Stew
1-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stock pot over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; adding additional 1 tablespoon oil as necessary. Set aside.
- Add onions, oregano and fennel seeds to stock pot; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add wine to pot; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 minute or until browned bits attached to pot are dissolved. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in olives. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
To cook in a slow cooker, combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Add beef, onions, oregano, fennel, wine, beef broth, tomatoes and tomato paste to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir until combined. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Stir in olives and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Served with mashed potatoes.