2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

Charged: Milwaukee man admits he left scene of fatal crash because “he was scared”

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Marcellous Tally-Clayborne

Marcellous Tally-Clayborne

MILWAUKEE — A 23-year-old Milwaukee man is now charged in connection with a crash that resulted in the death of a 61-year-old woman near 17th and Vliet Streets. He is Marcellous Tally-Clayborne.

The accused is charged with the following:

  • Operate a motor vehicle while revoked — causing death of another
  • Hit-and-run resulting in death

A van and a car collided at the intersection of 17th and Vliet around 6:45 p.m. on Saturday, March 4th. 61-year-old Denice Fells died from injuries she suffered after she was struck by one of the vehicles involved in that collision.

Denice Fells

Person struck, killed near 17th and Vliet

According to the criminal complaint, multiple witnesses told police they saw a white van had the green light at the intersection — and it was struck by a blue car. One witness indicated to investigators that “people who were on the scene were telling him that the driver had fled.”

Based on information developed during the investigation of this crash, officers were sent to Sinai-Samaritan Medical Center. Once there, they located and arrested Tally-Clayborne.

Person struck, killed near 17th and Vliet

On Sunday, March 5th, investigators interviewed Tally-Clayborne. He told them “he was driving a blue Chrysler Cirrus and was eastbound on Vliet Street. He was hit by a white van.” The complaint says, “When asked why he left the scene, Tally-Clayborne admitted that he had never seen anything like that before and he was scared.”

Records indicated Tally-Clayborne’s drivers license was “revoked and no driver’s license had been issued to him.”

Person struck, killed near 17th and Vliet

If convicted on the more serious hit-and-run charge, Tally-Clayborne faces up to 25 years in prison and $100,000 in fines.