10 displaced by fire believed to have been sparked by child playing with lighter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RACINE — The American Red Cross is assisting five children and five adults after a fire believed to have been started by a child playing with a lighter.

It happened on Wednesday, May 3rd around 3:30 p.m. at a home on Michigan Boulevard near Hubbard Street.

Fire crews were dispatched after a report of smoke coming from the front and back windows of the home. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke and fire coming from second-floor windows. The fire was contained to one of three units.

One pet had to be revived by crews on scene — but no one else was hurt.

The fire originated in a bedroom, and is believed to have been sparked by a five-year-old with a lighter.

This fire is believed to have caused an estimated $55,000 in damage.