Flash flood watch issued for Kenosha, Walworth counties through Friday morning
2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

Now in custody: Nasar Gregory, accused of fleeing standoff in Waukesha, turns himself in

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WAUKESHA -- Waukesha police said Sunday afternoon, July 9th Nasar Gregory is now in custody. Gregory was wanted after he was accused of fleeing the scene of a domestic violence related standoff early Friday.

Police said Sunday Gregory turned himself into the Milwaukee County Jail after Waukesha police received tips from the public and worked with Milwaukee police and U.S. Marshals.

A private investigator was "a vital asset as he negotiated, coordinated and facilitated Gregory's safe surrender," police said. That private investigator was critical Sunday of Friday's law enforcement response.

Daniel Storm

"Who did they think was there? Bin Laden?" Daniel Storm said. "I've never seen that kind of response before. It was amazing."

Storm said police used drones, multiple tactical vehicles and several rounds of rubber bullets to try to get Gregory out of the house, but he'd gotten away before investigators even arrived.

Standoff near Main and Caroline in Waukesha

Community activist Tory Lowe pleaded with Gregory to turn himself in, and even offered to act as a liaison between police and Gregory. Lowe said Gregory called him over the weekend, looking to surrender.

"He has a fear that the police wants to kill him. He was able to be safe. Police were safe. Everybody is safe," Lowe said.

Lowe and Storm picked Gregory up on Sunday morning and recorded the peaceful exchange for their social media followers. Lowe said Gregory was afraid because his brother was killed by police, and Lowe believes fear created problems for both parties in this case.

Tory Lowe

"Until we can fix that or bridge that mistrust, we have to find alternative ways for safety," Lowe said.

Lowe said he has helped two other suspects in the past in similar ways. Lowe and Storm said their goal is to help the police and the suspects and keep everyone safe.

The victims in this case have been given resources, including the Women's Center to advocate for their needs, police said.

Nasar Gregory turns himself in (PHOTO: Tory Lowe)

Nasar Gregory turns himself in (PHOTO: Tory Lowe)

Standoff near Main and Caroline in Waukesha

On Friday, the Waukesha neighborhood near Main Street and Caroline Street was cordoned off beginning around 1:30 a.m., as law enforcement rushed to help a mother and her three children.

24-year-old Gregory was wanted on the following charges after police say he fled the scene of a standoff:

  • Strangulation and suffocation, domestic abuse
  • Felony intimidation of a victim, domestic abuse
  • Two counts of physical abuse of a child, domestic abuse
  • Misdemeanor battery, domestic abuse
  • Disorderly conduct, domestic abuse

Nasar Gregory

As officers arrived on scene, they observed people climbing out a window of the home. The victims were two women -- and children who are 10, 12 and 17 years old. At that time, officers learned that a man possibly inside the home was perhaps barricading himself inside with a knife. The man was later identified as Nasar Gregory.

According to the criminal complaint, Nasar's girlfriend, Tiffany, told police that an hour prior to the 911 call, made by her children, she had been with Gregory in the lower level bedroom, when she became warm and decided to sleep in a different room in the house. Tiffany claims Gregory had been drinking and that when she said she would sleep in another room, it set him off.

Tiffany says Gregory had been getting agitated very easily lately, and that on this occasion he blew up and spit in her face three times. She claims Gregory then threw a cup of water on her head, which she believed was an attempt to electrocute her.

According to the complaint, Tiffany explained that "on the afternoon of July 6th, she was at Waukesha Memorial Hospital and received treatment for a seizure or neurological disorder. As a result of that treatment, she had wires attached to her scalp, which she was to wear for 48 hours. She believed the wires to be connected to an electric power source, as the wires were connected to a box which were clipped near her belt line. She was wearing this device at the time the defendant dumped water on her head."

The victim told investigators she was able to get her and the children into a lower level bedroom, where they climbed out the window to escape.

Later, police discovered that while officers were securing the victims, the suspect had fled the residence. Police later received information from a Waukesha Metro Transit bus driver that Gregory was on the bus and had transferred to another bus to an unknown location.

Police said Gregory made statements that he was not going to go back to jail.


"He's not going to turn himself in. He says he's going to go full force against the police. He'll fight every police officer he has to, so it's going to be bad," said Tiffany, victim.

Tiffany pleaded for Gregory to turn himself to community activist Tory Lowe for help.

"He'll make sure you're safe and nobody hurts you," said Tiffany.

FOX6's Myra Sanchick: "So after all this you're concerned for his safety?"

"He's not a bad person. He has mental and anxiety problems. For him to act like this is so confusing for all of us," Tiffany said.

Again -- Gregory is now in custody.

Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.