BURLINGTON -- A curfew has been reinstated for the City of Burlington as officials monitor the severe flooding in the city. The curfew will be in effect from 10:00 p.m. Thursday, July 13th until 6:00 a.m. Friday.
In a news conference held on Thursday evening, officials indicated the flood waters are receding from the 16-and-a-half feet peak. They waters are expected to be at 14 feet by Saturday -- and at normal flood stage levels by next week Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Gov. Scott Walker toured Burlington on Thursday. This, after declaring a State of Emergency for Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties following damaging storms.
The water level on the Fox River is going down, but the damage is already done -- especially in Burlington. Residents along the river have evacuated. Most are staying with relatives, according to the American Red Cross. Business owners are pumping water out of their basements, but will be out a lot of money.
When Gov. Walker toured Burlington with local officials on Thursday, he got a firsthand look. The governor activated the Wisconsin National Guard -- 85 troops are now in the area. Those guard members will be working at checkpoints to keep people off all the bridges in Burlington. Those bridges are closed because officials are concerned about the dam just upriver.
"I think there's still locally and for us, concern about the integrity of the dam. That's something we'll be watching. Some of the crews took a look at it. Now, a more recent update, it appears to be a better outlook than it did earlier this morning," Gov. Walker said.
The Coffee House at Chestnut and Pine in Burlington is closed right now. Out back, they are pumping out 15 inches of water. Owners hope to be ready for a rehearsal dinner booked for Friday.
Down the street, beer kegs float in three feet of water in the basement of Fred's, a burger joint. They have been closed since Tuesday.
"Well, it's pretty hard to make money without the doors open in this business. I've been trying to figure out how to do it and it just won't work," said Fred Mabson.
There have been no deaths or serious injuries as a result of the damaging storms and flooding. However, thousands of We Energies customers remain without power.