GREEN BAY -- Packers legendary quarterback Bart Starr and his wife Cherry announced on Monday, October 23rd that they have made their last trip to Lambeau Field and Green Bay.
"It's been a wonderful weekend. I'm emotional saying this, but it will be our last trip back," Cherry Starr said.
The announcement came during a news conference as the family donated some of Starr's memorabilia to the Packers Hall of Fame. Among the items is Starr's last Super Bowl ring.
"That ring is priceless," Cherry Starr said. "We need to ensure that this jewelry will never ever be in the wrong hands and will ever be sold. No one will ever profit off of Bart's jewelry."
Other items in the Starr donation include:
- A 1962 World Championship watch, a 14-karat gold Hamilton watch given to Bart Starr, in lieu of a ring, following the Packers’ second consecutive championship title.
- An NFL Players Association watch, a 10-karat gold watch made by Omega that was presented to Starr from the Better Boys Foundation in 1968.
- A microfilm necklace, presented to Cherry Starr from Kodak in honor of Bart Starr Day on Oct. 18, 1970. Inside the locket are microfilm images of the 40,000 Western Union telegrams of will-wishes sent to the beloved Packers quarterback.
- 1977 Packers Hall of Fame Induction ring, a 10-karat gold MTM ring, presented to Starr in honor of his induction into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame on Jan. 22, 1977.
- A Nike Super Bowl I and II MVP jacket presented to Starr during the Super Bowl 50 pregame ceremony on Feb. 7, 2016, to commemorate Starr’s MVP awards from Super Bowls I and II.
- Two-time Super Bowl MVP watch, a 14-karat gold watch to honor Starr as MVP in Super Bowls I and II.
The Starr family returned to Green Bay for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints. The Packers Hall of Fame also honored the 50th anniversary of the Packers' 1967 NFL championship team.
"We love you all. We love our fans. We love this city -- and we'll miss you so much," said Cherry Starr.
Starr, 83, is recovering from two strokes and a heart attack suffered in 2014.