SHEBOYGAN COUNTY — Multiple departments responded to a fire in the Town of Rhine in Sheboygan County Wednesday night, November 8th — which spread from a garage to a home.
According to the Sheboygan County Sheriff’s Office, the garage was lost as a result. The home was badly damaged.
It happened around 6:15 p.m. at a home on State Highway 32 — near Willow.
It’s believed the fire was sparked when the homeowner’s son was conducting maintenance on his vehicle. According to the fire chief, a man was working in a garage when something happened with a drill, and ignited the fire. That was brought under control, but then an oxygen tank in the garage exploded. The garage re-ignited and spread to the house.
“I would say flames probably 15 to 20 feet above the house,” Pat Zorn, Elkhart Lake fire chief said.
The homeowner’s son suffered minor injuries.
Fourteen agencies responded:
- Elkhart Lake Fire
- Glenbeulah Fire
- Kiel Fire
- New Holstein Fire
- Greenbush Fire
- Ada Fire
- St. Anna Fire
- Howards Grove Fire
- Franklin Fire
- Plymouth Fire
- Haven Fire
- Waldo Fire
- Orange Cross Ambulance
- Elkhart Lake First Responders