MILWAUKEE -- Looking for a fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen? How about fondue? Erica Cleven joins Real Milwaukee with some simple and healthy dessert dips.
Warm Strawberry Fondue
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Assorted fresh fruit, cubed pound cake for dipping
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, or any nut butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons agave or honey
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat-free milk or any variety non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons quick oats
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Assorted dippers: whole wheat pretzels, whole wheat graham crackers
1. Use a strainer to drain and rinse the chickpeas.
2. In bowl of food processor, combine chickpeas, peanut butter, 4 tablespoons agave or honey, oats, 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Process 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape sides with spatula as needed. If dip tastes `beany`, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of agave or honey. For a thinner dip, add 1 more tablespoon of milk.
3. Spoon into medium mixing bowl. Stir in chocolate chips. Serve with your choice of dippers. Store in a covered container in refrigerator up to four days.