MILWAUKEE -- As the new year approaches a lot of people will start thinking about shedding a few pounds. Registered dietitian, Lisa Grudzielanek with Your Tasty Life, joins Real Milwaukee to help you boost your metabolism and burn more calories.
Boost # 1 Move Your Body
• Avoid sitting for prolonged periods. Sitting for a long time burns few calories and is bad for your health. Try to stand up regularly or invest in a standing desk.
• HIIT (high intensity interval training) is when exercise involves quick and very intense bouts of activity, such as sprints or fast push-ups. Adding in a few high-intensity workouts, can boost your metabolism and help you burn fat.
• Do strength training. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, and building muscle can help increase your metabolism and burn more calories.
Boost # 2 Protein on Your Plate
• Protein digestion increases your metabolic rate by 15-30%, compared to 5-10% for carbs and 0-3% for fats.
• Eating protein has also been shown to help you feel fuller and prevent you from overeating.
Boost # 3 Get Good Sleep
• Lack of sleep can decrease the number of calories you burn, change the way you process sugar and disrupt your appetite-regulating hormones.
Boost # 4 Metabolize with Water
• Drinking more water improves your metabolic rate and may even cause weight loss over time. Cold water is the most effective.
Boost # 5 Drink Caffeinated Beverages
• Black Coffee Burst- Studies have shown that the caffeine in coffee can boost metabolism by 3-11%.
• Green Tea Booster--Green tea and oolong tea have been shown to increase metabolism by 4-5%.