MILWAUKEE -- You might not realize it -- but some of the most summer-like citrus fruits are in season now! registered dietitian, Kerry Clifford with Fresh Thyme Farmers Market, joins Real Milwaukee with some delicious ways to use the zesty, tangy foods.
These might sound unappetizing, but their bright and vivid red colored flesh is from the antioxidant, anthocyanin, and the darker the better. They can help reduce inflammation and prevent chronic disease.
- Kerry to showcase orange steak salad
- You should use blood oranges in salad as vitamin C helps unlock that non-heme iron from the spinach to improve absorption in your intestines.
- In this salad, it also helps breakdown the iron from the steak!
Orange Steak Salad Recipe:
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme maple syrup
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 medium red and/or golden beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. Fresh Thyme fine sea salt
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. baby spinach
- 2 medium navel oranges or blood oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 oz. Fresh Thyme goat cheese crumbles
No, not the grapefruit diet but there’s an entire day’s worth of Vitamin C in 1 whole grapefruit! (90 mcg is the daily rec) and 70 mcg of Vitamin A (need 900 mcg a day). Let’s talk about Vitamin C and immunity - taking vitamin C around 200 mg/day can help reduce the length of the common cold from 10 days to 4 days
- Kerry to showcase citrus and pomegranate parfaits
- Incorporate grapefruit at breakfast, like here we have them with yogurt, which has a quality protein and healthy bacteria to keep your gut strong to truthfully avoid sickness!
Citrus and Pomegranate Parfaits Recipe:
- 2 cups (500 mL) vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 orange, peeled and cubed or segmented
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and cubed or segmented
- 1 pomegranate, seeded (you may not use all seeds, depending on fruit size)
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) pink peppercorns, lightly crushed, divided
Cara Cara Navel Oranges
Vitamin C also is needed for skin, bone, tendons and blood vessels! The Cara Cara’s tend to be less acidic and sweeter than the other citrus fruits, if you prefer less acidic foods. When picking any citrus fruit, selecting something heavier for its weight ensures its ripeness.
- Kerry to show case Chickpea Goji Berry Salad
Chickpea Goji Berry Salad Recipe:
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) slivered almonds
- 1 – 19 oz (532 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- orange segments
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) dried goji berries
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 in (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) parsley, chopped
- 4 oz (125 mL) feta cheese, cubed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste