MILWAUKEE -- St. Patrick's Day is next week! In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica is making mashed potato cakes that were sent in by Kathi Miller.
Mashed Potato Cakes
Adapted from Kathi Miller
Makes about 12 patties
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups of mashed potatoes)
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions (OPTIONAL)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (OPTIONAL)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sour cream for serving
- Applesauce for serving
- Oil for searing
- Boil potatoes in salted water until soft, then drain and mash.
- While still hot, add butter and salt & pepper to taste. When it’s cooled a bit, sieve in flour with the baking powder and egg. Add green onions and OPTIONAL cheese.
- Knead all ingredients together until smooth and dough-like. Take a scoop of the potato mixture and form into ½ inch patties.
- Grease pan with oil and when oil is hot, cook potato cakes on one side until golden brown underneath, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with butter, sour cream and/or applesauce.