Steak is delicious, but even better with an Italian flare. Learn how to make a moist and flavorful Sicilian steak sandwich.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 pound choice New York strip cut into equal size thin steaks (ask your butcher to do this)
• 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 lb fresh spinach
• 8 slices of tomato
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 10 slices provolone cheese
• 1 loaf of rosemary ciabatta or French bread
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/4 cup Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
• 1/2 cup prepared horseradish (optional)
• 1/4 cup brown mustard (optional)
• 1/4 cup of mayonnaise (optional)
2. Add the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and red wine.
3. Slice the bread loaf lengthwise like a submarine sandwich. Mix together the horseradish and mustard and basil pesto; spread onto the inside of the loaf. Place slices of provolone cheese on both sides of the loaf, then top with the beef, onion and mushroom, and fresh spinach and tomato. Close the loaf, and place the entire sandwich under the panini grill (if it does not fit, cut into desired size)
4. Grill until crusty on the outside.