TOWN OF TAYCHEEDAH -- The Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Department says 59-year-old Daniel Lee Winsemius was killed when a 25-year-old driver crossed the center line on Highway 151 into oncoming traffic. The accident injured nine of Winsemius' friends as they were riding their motorcycles back to Michigan after a visit to Milwaukee.
The crash occurred just before 3:00 p.m. Thursday, May 31st on US Highway 151, south of Welling Beach Road in the Town of Taycheedah.
The Calumet County man who struck the bikes will be arrested as soon as he's released from the hospital. He's wanted on felony bail jumping, and will possibly face homicide by negligent operation charges.
Five ambulances and three medical helicopters were called to the scene.
Three motorcyclists were transported to Theda Clark Hospital via Flight for Life with life threatening injuries.
Five motorcyclists were transported to St. Agnes Hospital by ambulance with non life threatening injuries.
Officials say all the motorcyclists were wearing helmets and eyewear.
The investigation into this incident is ongoing.
The Fond du Lac Sheriff's Department released the names and conditions of the nine injured motorcycle riders:
- Marvin John Vanderkolk -- 63 yrs old, Fruitport, MI -- St Agnes Hospital (Treated & Released)
- Eric Charles Vandam -- 52 yrs old, Muskegon, MI -- Theda Clark – Critical Condition
- William Brad Groom -- 57 yrs old, Muskegon, MI -- No Injury
- Garry Lee Ferris -- 52 yrs old, Muskegon, MI -- St Agnes Hospital
- Douglas Wayne Williams -- 58 yrs old, Muskegon, MI -- Theda Clark – Critical Condition
- Leland Roe Johnson --58 yrs old, Muskegon, MI -- St Agnes Hospital
- Lawrence Charles Monroe -- 59 yrs old, Muskegon, MI --St Agnes Hospital (Treated & Released)
- Douglas Allan Yonkers -- 43 yrs old, Muskegon, MI -- Theda Clark– Critical Condition
- Paul Czekus -- 57 yrs old, Ravenna, MI -- St Agnes Hospital (Treated & Released)
Two other riders in the 12 man group missed the collision and were not injured. They are 58-year-old Guy Vernon Weersing of Muskegon, MI and 51-year-old Mark Steven Messany, also of Muskegon.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.