Five arrested after anti-Walker, Occupy Movement march

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE -- Protesters took to the streets of downtown Milwaukee Wednesday, June 6th, following the recall election that re-elected Gov. Scott Walker on Tuesday.

Protesters said the rally Wednesday evening was an effort to re-energize the "Occupy Movement" in Milwaukee.  Milwaukee police officials were on hand, and five protesters were arrested.

The event began as a peaceful day-after-the-recall rally of about 150 people in Milwaukee's Pere Marquette Park.

"We planned this awhile back. We said we were going to have a win-or-lose march after the election," Hannah Engber said.


The anti-Walker, pro-"Occupy Movement" crowd then marched through downtown Milwaukee, and police brought in riot gear to control the crowd. They marched from State Street to Water Street, some forcing their way into traffic, and blocking streets and intersections.

Police on horseback and in riot gear forced the group back onto the sidewalks.

"We spent a fair amount of time keeping them up on sidewalk (so that) a - they wouldn`t get hit by a car and b - we wanted to keep the streets open for the general public," Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn said.

Police blocked access to the Kilbourn Street Bridge.

Police say five protesters were arrested --one for obstructing/resisting an officer, four for disorderly conduct.

The march continued down Michigan and Wells streets. Police used batons and horses to control the crowd, as protesters tried to run into the streets.

"We had to keep going around because we were being pushed and thrown into the sidewalk by the horses," Tiffany Strong said.

"An absolute vulgar display of force," Ashley Walker said.

The march ended at Milwaukee's Zeidler Square -- the former home base of Milwaukee's "Occupy Movement."

Police shut down the streets around the park as a line of officers in riot gear watched the crowd.

"People have figured out that they can protest the one percent by disrupting the poorest city in Wisconsin.  We are here to babysit them while they pretend to be relevant demonstrators," Chief Flynn said.

The group of protesters started with about 150 people and the number dwindled as the march continued. By the time they reached Zeidler Square, only a few dozen remained.

Related stories: