Coverage of the Bucks’ run in the NBA Playoffs 🏀

Milw.Co. EMS assisted Froedtert in assuring victims were cared for

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OAK CREEK -- 911 calls released Thursday, August 9th reflect tense moments of sheer terror during the shooting Sunday morning at the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek -- when six lost their lives, and three were critically wounded.

Law enforcement officials rushed to the scene. One of the first to respond was Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy, who was ambushed by the shooter -- 40-year-old Wade Michael Page. Page was then shot in the stomach by an Oak Creek police officer after failing to comply with officers' commands. Page then turned the gun on himself, shooting himself in the head.

Officers then raced to secure the scene and tend to those injured.

"We had anticipated they were going in and finding 20-30 people who were shot," Director of the Milwaukee County Emergency Medical Services Ken Sternig said.

Sternig said his team was in position behind computer screens. In their state-of-the-art facility, at the touch of a button, they were able to see how many hospital beds were open, where victims could be transported to and life-saving advice from physicians.

"This is a communication that is unique to the state of Wisconsin," Dr. Ronald Pirrallo, who heads the medical team for EMS said.

Dr. Pirrallo said paramedics can talk with doctors who can relay the message to awaiting emergency rooms, so when patients arrive, there is no pause in moments that could mean life or death.

"The system really played out well with those first three patients," Sternig said.

Oak Creek Police Lt. Brian Murphy was shot eight or nine times outside the Sikh Temple after he was "ambushed" by the shooter -- 40-year-old Wade Michael Page. Murphy's condition has been upgraded to "satisfactory," and he is said to be recovering well.

Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards visited Murphy in the hospital this week, and said he was walking and talking and seemed to be improving.

According to Froedtert Hospital's website, 50-year-old Sanktoh Singh suffered a single gunshot wound that penetrated his chest, diaphragm, stomach and liver. All of his injuries were repaired in two surgeries and he is recovering well. His condition has been upgraded to "serious" from "critical."

According to Froedtert Hospital's website, 65-year-old Punjab Singh suffered a single gunshot wound to the face that caused facial fractures and damage to his right carotid and vertebral artery. There is evidence he also may have subsequently suffered a stroke. He requires mechanical support to breathe and remains in "critical" condition.

Three patients -- overseen by a staff who says they were prepared to respond to tragedy.

"The planners for disasters will say if you can take care of one, you can take care of 10.  If you can take care of 10 you can take care of 100," Dr. Pirrallo said.

CLICK HERE for additional Sikh Temple shooting coverage via

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.