Bond set for Casey Bennett, accused in arrow shooting incident

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOND DU LAC -- A signature bond was set for a Campbellsport teen accused of accidentally shooting a seven-year-old girl with a bow and arrow.

16-year-old Casey Bennett made his first appearance in adult court Tuesday, August 21st. He's charged with second-degree reckless injury and obstructing an officer. Earlier this month, a Fond du Lac County judge waived the teen into adult court, and he's now fighting a felony charge.

Bennett told authorities he was shooting at squirrels in May, when an arrow hit Aryanna Schneeberg in the back while she was playing outside her home. Doctors at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin said the girl was "lucky to be alive'' after the arrow sliced through her spleen, stomach, diaphragm and lung before stopping at her liver.

Schneeberg and her family were in court Tuesday. Three months after doctors said Schneeberg could have easily been killed, she smiled on her front porch -- talking about ice cream and wanting a guitar for her upcoming birthday.

Schneeberg's mother said the little girl faces additional surgery to reduce her scaring, but says her recovery has been nothing short of miraculous.

"The beginning of the summer, she couldn't jump on the trampoline, but now she can do that, and playing in the pool, but the chlorine agitates her scar, so she has to keep getting out every now and then," Laura Schneeberg said.

The little girl's mother told FOX6 News her daughter thought being in court Tuesday was interesting.

"Right now she's more focused on what will happen in two weeks. She'll be entering the second grade," Laura Schneeberg said.

A judge in Fond du Lac County set a $50,000 signature bond for Bennett Tuesday. Bennett and his family signed the bond so he can continue living at home with a GPS monitoring device. That home is no longer in Schneeberg's neighborhood. Bennett and his family left court Tuesday without comment.

Bennett will be back in court September 21st for a preliminary hearing.

Related stories: