Troubled Michigan lottery winner found dead of possible drug overdose
ECORSE, Mich. (AP) — Police say a Detroit-area woman who collected welfare benefits despite winning a $735,000 lottery prize has died of a possible drug overdose.
Ecorse police Sgt. Cornelius Herring confirmed that 25-year-old Amanda Clayton was found dead about 9 a.m. Saturday, September 29th at a home in the community southwest of Detroit.
Relatives of Clayton did not immediately return a phone message for comment.
Clayton of Lincoln Park pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was sentenced to nine months’ probation in July. Her attorney has said Clayton repaid about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits.
Michigan’s Department of Human Services says Clayton didn’t inform the state about her pre-tax lottery windfall last year.
Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law in April requiring lottery officials to tell Human Services about new winners.