RACINE -- A visitation was held Thursday, November 15th for three small children who died in a house fire one week ago, as a fourth child continues to fight for his life in the hospital.
A steady stream of visitors filed into the New Golden Gate Funeral Home in Racine Thursday to pay their respects to three young children who were killed in a fire on Linden Avenue last week.
Deborah Scott and her four children were living in a home without power on Linden Avenue in Racine. Scott had reportedly just gotten a new job, and was working to restore power to the home.
Earlier this week, it was reported the fire was sparked by a candle in the bathroom.
The fire claimed the lives of nine-year-old Dayja Scott and eight-year-old Dalija Scott. Seven-year-old Michael Scott was pulled from the home and taken to the hospital, where he later died. Five-year-old Luther Scott remains at the hospital, fighting for his life.
As the children were remembered Thursday, it was a tough time for family members like uncle William Scott.
"I came in and I still haven't walked over to actually see the kids. It's something I'm building up to. It's unbelievable," Scott said.
Not far away from the funeral home, business was brisk at a Culver's Restaurant. 11% of proceeds Thursday were to be donated to the Scott family. Customers and Culver's employees said they wanted to help.
"It was horrible to me. I couldn't imagine it. I feel horrible for the family, so I am very happy to help and work today. We give as much as we can. We have had cash donations and people calling from Milwaukee saying they can't come and are going to send money. The community is really coming together for them," Stephanie King with Culver's said.
Funerals for the three Scott children were donated by the funeral home.
"It's a situation that they need help. For you to be on the outside of a building and hear your kids screaming on the inside, and can't get to them, I can't even imagine even to think what this family's going to go through," Arthur Reid with New Golden Gate Funeral Home said.
"I don't know if the community really understands how much that really means to us. It is definitely helping us through the situation," Scott said.
Funerals for the children will be held at the Mount Eagle Baptist Church in Racine (929 W. State Street) at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, November 16th -- after a Friday morning visitation.
- Scott family prepares to bury three young children after Racine fire
- Burning candle in bathroom caused fatal fire in Racine
- Funeral arrangement set for Scott children killed in fire
- Third child from Racine house fire has died
- Family describes young girls killed in Racine fire as fun-loving
- Mesh on windows impeded rescue of kids killed in house fire
- Two girls dead, two boys hurt in Racine house fire