70-year-old man dies in Washington County fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TOWN OF FARMINGTON — 70-year-old Richard Winter died in a fire in the Town of Farmington in Washington County early Saturday morning, December 15th.

A passing motorist notified the Washington County Sheriff’s Office of the fire at Dick’s Club 144 on State Highway 144 just before 1:30 a.m. That motorist told officials there were flames coming out of a first-story window.

Emergency crews learned there was a person trapped inside the building. The second story of the structure, which is living quarters, was occupied by the victim and a 74-year-old woman. The man went down stairs to investigate the fire where he collapsed. The woman escaped the residence by going to a second-story balcony, where she was rescued by West Bend Firefighters. Boltonville Firefighters immediately entered the engulfed first floor and located the man who was deceased.

Fire units from Fillmore, Kewaskum, Newburg, Beechwood, Kohlsville and Silver Creek assisted at the scene.

The fire remains under investigation by the Boltonville Fire Department and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) and the State Fire Marshall’s are assisting at the scene.

The names of the occupants are being held pending notification of relatives.

It is unknown if there were functioning smoke detectors at the time of the fire. The survivor indicated that she was alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.