Police: Increase in business burglaries in MPD District 2
MILWAUKEE (WITI) — Milwaukee police say they have seen an increase in business burglaries in the area east of S. 16th St. from W. Cleveland Av. to W. Bruce St., and are offering tips to business owners and residents in the area.
- Adequate lighting is a very important deterrent for possible burglars so make sure you have adequate interior and exterior lighting inside and around your business.
- Also, ensure the employees close and lock all exterior doors and windows at closing time. It is very important to have specific guidelines and procedures for closing duties for all the employees ensuring the business is kept secured when it is closed.
- Additionally, remember to practice good key control and procedures with your employees to avoid lost or stolen keys to your business.
- Please make sure you have heavy-duty solid construction rear doors and consider installing break resistant glass. If there are other possible entrances to your business, such as vents, skylights, and loading docks do not forget to secure them as well.
- Please consider installing and maintaining a surveillance system for your business and remember to include both interior and exterior cameras.
Please call the nonemergency number at 933-4444 if you notice any suspicious activity in your neighborhood.