MILWAUKEE (WITI) – The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) announced on Thursday, February 7th that some long-term closures along I-43 in Milwaukee County will begin this week, and be in place until Summerfest.
The single-lane closure, from Howard Avenue to the Marquette Interchange, will be weather dependent. This closure will start at Howard Avenue and extend north each night, until it reaches the northernmost limit of the Valley Bridge.
Motorists will experience the first wave of the closure on the morning of February 12, but should remain alert for the remainder of the week as the closure progresses.
Some related northbound (NB) ramp closures will also take place:
- Howard Avenue and Holt Avenue entrance ramp to I-43 NB
- I-43 exit ramp to National Avenue
- Mineral Street/Walker Street entrance ramp to I-43 NB
Once this set of closures are in place, the contractor, Zenith Tech, will begin placing the closure in the I-43 southbound (SB) lanes, from Lapham Boulevard to Howard Avenue. This long-term closure is expected to be in place until Labor Day weekend.
Other related closures happening during this phase of the project are as follows:
- I-43 SB exit ramps to Holt Avenue
- Direct access to I-794 (Lake Parkway) SB from Oklahoma Avenue at Ellen Street. Southbound traffic will be detoured north to Car Ferry Drive, then directed back to I-794 SB through the end of June.
All work is weather-dependent and subject to change. For the latest updates, go to 511wi.gov and click on the “I-43 Bridges Project” quick link.