Important resources to help you navigate the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in Wisconsin
Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

Fire department says no smoke detectors in Milwaukee house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- The Milwaukee Fire Department says it appears there were no smoke detectors inside a house near 10th and Morgan that caught on fire Saturday morning.

It was a passing driver that first noticed the smoke and called 911. A man inside the home escaped only to realize moments later that his grandson was still in an upstairs bedroom.

The disastrous outcome was one firefighters see far too often.

"We have to stop these tragedies from happening in this city," said Dan Lipski, Assistant Chief of Operations for the Milwaukee Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to locate the boy, named Miguel, who was suffering from smoke inhalation.  The resuscitated him and he was rushed to Children's Hospital.  He was in critical condition Saturday night.

Deputy Fire Chief Jack Christiansen says the law in Milwaukee requires a smoke detector on every floor of a home.

"They're sensitive.  They're that vital and that important.  It's just catching that fire at its earliest stage that can save lives," said Christiansen.

If you live in Milwaukee, the fire department will even come to your home, do a fire inspection and install alarms free of charge if you qualify.  The number is 414-286-8980.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.