MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Milwaukee firefighters responded to a house fire near 10th and Morgan on the city's south side on Saturday morning, February 16th.
"We encountered heavy, heavy heat on the second floor, thick black rolling smoke," Asst. Chief of Milwaukee Fire Operations Dan Lipski said.
They were called to the scene just before 8 a.m. Officials say the fire was on the second floor of the building -- and that a child was removed from a second floor bedroom.
First responders were able to resuscitate the boy. Family tells us he has been taken to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
"I need all the citizens of Milwaukee to pray for my son, Miguel," his mom Eva Graf said.
Another man was in the home at the time. He got out safely. Family says it is the boy's grandfather.
The family is in disbelief, but remains optimisitc.
"We're in shock. We're praying for Miguel," his great-aunt Sylvia Oleszek said. "He's a strong little boy. He should be okay."
The boy is in critical, but stable condition. Firefighters say preliminary reports show no working smoke detectors in the home.