Harris pleads not guilty in beating of West Allis woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Kenneth Harris

WEST ALLIS (WITI) — 43-year-old Kenneth Harris, the Milwaukee man charged with substantial battery for an incident in which he allegedly beat a West Allis woman, pleaded not guilty in court on Friday, March 22nd.

The criminal complaint in the case says Harris went over to the woman’s home, and the two left the home together — walking toward a bus stop.

The criminal complaint says Harris then struck the woman to her face with a closed fist, causing her to fall to the ground. Harris then began to repeatedly strike the woman, causing a fractured left orbital bone and numerous bruises — according to the complaint.

A Marine Corps veteran was able to stop Harris from nearly kicking the woman to death, and Wisconsin’s concealed carry law made his efforts possible.

Charlie Blackmore was driving home from work at 4:00 a.m. along Lincoln Avenue when he saw something on the sidewalk. Blackmore didn’t realize it was a woman on the ground being kicked in the head and stomach until he got closer.

That’s when he jumped out of his car and sprung into action.

“I said ‘stop’ and he starts coming towards me and that`s when I drew on him. He started getting closer and I said ‘get down on the ground,’” Blackmore said.

Blackmore held his gun on the suspect and called West Allis police. He says several times while waiting for police to arrive, the attacker moved toward him.

“I mean I’ve already made it up in mind that if he came at me I was going to have to take him down and I told him that. I warned him multiple times not to come towards me because he was a big guy and I wasn’t playing around and he didn’t seem like he was playing around,” Blackmore said.

Blackmore says police eventually showed up and had to force the suspect to the ground. They then asked to see Blackmore’s concealed carry permit.

“I put my hands up turned around and said ‘you can grab it out of my wallet.’ Checked my permit, gave me my wallet back, and then interviewed me for their paperwork. She had a really big laceration by her eye and it looked like her nose was broken,” Blackmore said.

Blackmore said the victim told him the man is an ex-boyfriend.

If convicted in this case, Harris faces a maximum of three years and six months in prison and/or $10,000 in fines. He’s due back in court on April 10th.

Related stories: