Family thankful witnesses spoke up following Easter beating death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Milwaukee police say two people are in custody in connection with the beating death of 49-year-old Curtis Scott. It happened near 5th and Keefe on Easter Sunday afternoon -- around 2:00 p.m.

Scott's family told FOX6 News they are grateful neighbors and witnesses called 911 and spoke up about this crime. They say they feel that is what contributed to the 46 and 48-year-old suspects being caught.

Kanya Ambrose is still trying to come to terms with how and why her brother-in-law was brutally murdered on Easter Sunday.

"We're in shock. We cannot believe it. Did this really happen? With a bat? They just left him laying here?" Ambrose said.

Police say Scott was beaten to death and left in an alley on 5th Street.

"No Easter will be the same again," Ambrose said.

Ambrose says Scott had just left family to run home and get a gift.

"He was going to get what he was going to get for his grandbaby -- to see the expression on his face for Easter. He said, 'I'll be back at 2.' Needless to say, he was murdered at 2," Ambrose said.

A witness, too afraid to show her face, saw part of the attack.

"I heard a commotion and I looked and saw the two men approaching the two men. I mostly seen them hitting in the head. That's how he mostly got to bleeding. Then my cousin called 911," the witness said.

"We are so grateful someone stepped up and grateful she took initiative. We want to see justice served, because they took someone special for no reason," Ambrose said.

Police don't believe the crime was random, and the family thinks Scott somehow knew his attackers. While they wait for answers, the only way for them to get past such devastation is to hold onto the memories.

"He was a funny person -- a very lively person. If he had anything to give, he'll give it to you. He was loved and respected," Ambrose said.

Scott's memory will be honored at the scene on Monday night, as a vigil was planned in his honor.