(CNN) — “Saturday Night Live” writer-performer Seth Meyers will take over NBC’s “Late Night” show next year when current host Jimmy Fallon moves to “The Tonight Show,” NBC announced Sunday.
SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels will also be the executive producer of “Late Night with Seth Meyers.” He was also named executive producer of “The Tonight Show” earlier this year when the network announced Fallon would replace Jay Leno.
No premiere date has been announced, but NBC has said Leno’s exit and Fallon’s debut will coincide with the Winter Olympics coverage in 2014.
All three shows will broadcast from NBC’s New York headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. NBC announced in April that “Tonight” would relocate back to New York from Burbank, California. Johnny Carson moved the show there four decades ago to take advantage of Hollywood-based guests and Southern California’s lifestyle.
Meyers, 39, would be the fourth comedian to host “Late Night” since it went on the air in 1982, starting with David Letterman and followed by Conan O’Brien and Fallon. “Seth couldn’t be in better company,” Michaels said.
“We think Seth is one of the brightest, most insightful comedy writers and performers of his generation,” NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt said in the official announcement.
Meyers has been the frontrunner in speculation about who would succeed Fallon.
Like Fallon before him, Meyers anchored SNL’s “Weekend Update” desk. Along with being a performer, Meyers is the show’s head writer. Meyers is currently in his 12th season with SNL.
“I only have to work for Lorne for five more years before I pay him back for the time I totaled his car,” Meyers said in the NBC news release. “12:30 on NBC has long been incredible real estate. I hope I can do it justice.”
The NBC announcement did not say when Meyers would leave his SNL duties.