MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Get ready for a weekend of orange barrels and detours as I-94 will be closed in both directions for 36 hours.
"It's a pain in the butt," says resident John Krecklow. "It seems like it's worse and worse and there's nothing you can do about it."
I-94 will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday, May 17th until 9 a.m. Sunday, May 19th.
CLICK HERE for a detailed construction closure map
While some are grumbling about the construction, others are smiling.
"I always knew we'd be right on the interstate someday, so that would be nice to see what it's like," says Val Secor, General Manager of The Dish.
That's because the interstate, in essence, is moving to 27th Street, where restaurants are hoping to see more customers.
"We just hope people stop in and try it out," says Secor.
The closure will be an inconvenience to many drivers who are coming into Milwaukee for one of three big events this weekend. There’s the Kenny Chesney concert at Miller Park in addition to graduations at Marquette University and UW-Milwaukee.
- I-94 WEST (NB) will be closed from 27th Street ( at Racine / Milwaukee County line) to College Avenue.
- I-94 EAST (SB) will be closed from Rawson Avenue to Drexel Avenue.
In addition, multiple I-94 WEST (NB) and I-94 EAST (SB) entrance and exit ramps will be closed during the culvert replacement.
Freeway detour routes:
- Traffic on I-94 WEST (NB) will be directed to exit at 27th Street (at Racine / Milwaukee County line) and head north to College Avenue. Turn right (east) on College Avenue and continue to I-94 WEST (NB) entrance ramp.
- Traffic on I-94 EAST (SB) will be directed to exit at Rawson Avenue, head west on Rawson Avenue, and turn left (south) on to 27th Street and continue to I-94 EAST (SB) entrance ramp.
General Mitchell Airport detour routes:
Additionally, the westbound Airport Spur will be closed to traffic exiting the General Mitchell Airport during the I-94 freeway closure. Detour routes for the spur closure are as follows:
Traffic wanting to travel I-94 WEST (NB) towards downtown Milwaukee will be directed to Howell Avenue, turn right (north) on Howell Avenue and head north to Layton Avenue. Turn left (west) on Layton Avenue and continue to I-94 WEST (NB) entrance ramp.
Traffic wanting to travel I-94 EAST (SB) towards Chicago will be directed to Howell Avenue, turn left (south) on Howell Avenue and head south to Drexel Avenue. Turn right (west) on Drexel Avenue and continue to I-94 EAST (SB) entrance ramp.
Traffic wanting to travel to I-43 / 894 (WB) towards Madison / Beloit will be directed to Howell Avenue, turn right on Howell Avenue and head north to Layton Avenue. Turn left (west) on Layton Avenue and continue to 27th Street. Turn right (north) on 27th Street and continue to I-43 / 894 (WB) entrance ramp on the right.
“We understand that there’s some inconvenience that goes along with this but we also know that getting this work done very efficiently and very quickly in one operation is something very conducive to the large interstate project,” said Luck.
Future construction updates and schedule:
- The Rawson Avenue I-94 WEST (NB) entrance ramp will be closed to traffic starting at 6 a.m. on Monday, May 13, and will reopen in late fall.
- Rawson Avenue, between 13th Street and 20th Street, will be closed to traffic Tuesday, May 28. Demolition of the existing Rawson Avenue bridge is scheduled to begin the evening of May 28.
- The new Rawson Avenue bridge is scheduled to be rolled into place mid-June and scheduled to reopen to traffic in late June.
- All remaining exit and entrance ramps to I-94 will close late-June and remain closed until late fall when the interchange is scheduled to open.
- All closures are weather dependent.
Detailed information, Airport impacts, and detour route info can be found at:http://www.plan94.org/Newslist.do#headline-277
All closures are weather-dependent and subject to change. Thank you for your patience during the I-94 N-S Freeway Project’s roadway closures.
Visit http://www.plan94.org/ for additional information about the I-94 N-S Freeway Project.