TRAFFIC ALERT: Right lane blocked on I-94 WB at Drexel Avenue due to crash

Lake Delton hotel closed after carbon monoxide leak

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKE DELTON (WITI) -- Lake Delton police and fire responded to the Travelodge Hotel located at 350 West Munroe Avenue in Lake Delton Saturday morning, June 15th for a report of a carbon monoxide leak.

Prior to receiving the call, an employee working at the hotel had become ill and was taken to St. Clare Hospital, where high levels of carbon monoxide were found in their blood. The employee was later transferred to St. Luke's Hospital in Milwaukee.

After testing the air in the hotel, it was determined that a high level of carbon monoxide was present. According to an employee at the Travelodge, a hot tub heater malfunction was the cause of the carbon monoxide leak.

All guests staying in the hotel were evacuated from the building. According to officials, there were 43 hotel rooms occupied by guests and 12 employees at the hotel at the time of the incident.

Several guests and employees reported to EMS personnel that they were feeling ill. As of early Saturday morning a total of nine people had been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning -- with three patients being transferred to St. Luke's Hospital in Milwaukee.

Alliant Energy responded to the location and shut off the gas supply. Fans were used to ventilate the building, and when safe air readings were reached guests were let back inside to retrieve their belongings.

The hotel is closed pending further investigation.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.