I-43 bridges project to advance into next construction stage
MILWAUKEE (WITI) — The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is advising motorists to watch for changing traffic patterns on I-43 between Howard Avenue and the Marquette Interchange in Milwaukee County, as construction on the I-43 Bridges Project advances into the next stage of operations.
On I-43 Northbound (NB), traffic is scheduled to be switched to the two inside lanes on the evening of June 20. All three lanes on I-43 NB from Howard Avenue to the Marquette Interchange are then scheduled to reopen by the end of the week.
This weekend, I-43 Southbound (SB) traffic from Mitchell Street south to Howard Avenue is scheduled to be switched to the two inside lanes, as the right lane is closed. All three SB lanes south of Mitchell Street are then scheduled to reopen prior to Summerfest.
Motorists should also be aware of the following changes to freeway ramps within the project area:
- I-43 SB exit ramp to Lapham Boulevard closed June 18 – July 8
- Direct access to I-794 SB from Oklahoma Avenue at Ellen Street scheduled to reopen June 21
- I-43 SB exit ramp to Holt Avenue Eastbound scheduled to reopen June 25
- Howard Avenue and Holt Avenue entrance ramp to I-43 NB scheduled to reopen June 25
- Mineral Street/Walker Street entrance ramp to I-43 NB scheduled to reopen June 25
- I-794 Westbound (WB) to I-43 SB system ramp in the Marquette Interchange scheduled to reopen prior to Summerfest and remain open through July 8
At the conclusion of Summerfest, the full closure of the I-794 WB to I-43 SB system ramp in the Marquette Interchange will be reinstated. This closure is expected to be in place until Labor Day weekend.
All work is weather-dependent and subject to change. To view all scheduled overnight closures associated with this work, go to 511wi.gov and click on the “I-43 Bridges Project” quick link.
Motorists are reminded to drive carefully and attentively through all work zones and observe posted speed limits.