Oak Creek Sikhs plan events for week of shooting anniversary
OAK CREEK (WITI) — August 5th marks the one-year anniversary of the Sikh Temple shooting, and the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek has planned four days worth of activities to honor those whose lives were lost.
Six people were killed when Wade Page entered the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek on Sunday, August 5th, and opened fire.
The main event honoring the six who died one year ago occurs on Saturday, August 3rd — a 6K memorial run/walk entitled: Chardhi Kala 6K Memorial Run/Walk: Turning Tragedy into Triumph.
Registration for the 6K runs from 8:30 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. at Oak Creek High School.
The run/walk begins at 10:00 — followed by food and games for the entire family.
The Sikhs say “Chardhi Kala” is the spirit of relentless optimism: a philosophy that empowers us to persevere and grow from hardship.
The run/walk is a 6K to honor the six victims killed in the mass shooting last August.
Additionally, the Sikhs have planned prayer services at the Temple for Sunday, August 4th, and Monday, August 5th — including a candlelight vigil on the 5th (the shooting’s anniversary).
On Friday, August 2nd, the Sikhs will host a 48-hour prayer service, followed by a remembrance at the Federal Courthouse in downtown Milwaukee.
Below is a complete listing of the plans for the week of the Sikh Temple shooting anniversary:
Friday, August 2
- The Akhand Path, a 48-hour recitation of Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the Sikh holy scriptures, will begin at 10:30 a.m. at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, 7512 S. Howell Ave., Oak Creek. The prayer service will be continuous throughout this 48-hour period.
- Langar (community meal) will be served at all times during the Akhand Path.
- Federal Courthouse Remembrance: “Chardi Kala: Remembering and Honoring the Victims of Violence from the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek” 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Ceremonial Courtroom (Room 390) Historic Federal Courthouse 517 East Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Saturday, August 3
- Akhand Path (at Sikh Temple) continues
- Chardhi Kala 6K Memorial Run/Walk: Turning Tragedy into Triumph Location: Oak Creek High School track/field area (340 E. Puetz Rd., Oak Creek). Registration: 8:30-10:00 a.m. The Run/Walk begins at 10:00, followed by food and games for the entire family. The event concludes at approx. 3:00 pm. “Chardhi Kala” is the spirit of relentless optimism: a philosophy that empowers us to persevere and grow from hardship.
Sunday, August 4 (at Sikh Temple)
- Akhand Path concludes at 10:30 a.m.
- Kirtan (hymn sung in the praise of God): 11:00 a.m.-1:30 pm.
- Words from the victims’ families & community leaders: 1:30 pm
- Langar (community meal) will be served throughout the day
Monday, August 5 (at Sikh Temple)
- Simran (contemplative meditation), 6:00-8:00 pm
- Community Candlelight Vigil to follow at 8:00 pm
- Langar (community meal) to follow
CLICK HERE for additional information on the Sikh Temple shooting anniversary 6K.