FRANKLIN (WITI) -- The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office says a four-month-old baby boy died as a result of a co-sleeping incident in Franklin.
The baby was found dead at a home on Cortez Circle in Franklin on the afternoon of July 4th -- after reportedly sleeping with his father on a couch.
The Medical Examiner's report says when the baby's father awoke, the baby was found between the father's body and the back of the couch, with his face into the couch cushion.
The Medical Examiner's report says the baby was home with his father, mother and sister -- and was sleeping in his bassinet, but was woken up by fireworks outside.
The report says at that time, the baby boy's mother fed him, and then woke up his father, who then took the children into the living room, so that the baby's mother could sleep.
Later, the baby's mother woke up to the baby's father screaming because the baby was unresponsive. 911 was called, and the baby was pronounced dead.
The Medical Examiner's report indicated a lock box containing several bottles of liquid methadone was found inside the home.
The report says the baby's parents told officials the baby normally slept in the bedroom in a bassinette, and the baby's parents also had a crib they were planning on using for the baby.
The baby had to be weaned off methadone, and was on Prevacid due to frequent vomiting, according to the report.
The report says both parents used opiates in the past, but have been clean for the past five to six years, and take methadone and/or suboxone.
The baby had to stay in the hospital for an additional month to be weaned off the methadone, according to the report.