MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- One of the men suing the City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee Police Department for performing illegal cavity searches is wanted by police for armed robbery and a high speed chase.
23-year-old Anthony Pettis is facing charges that could land him in prison for more than 40 years. Authorities have been looking for Pettis for months.
In April, Derek Carrington was the victim of an armed robbery in front of his business at 24th and West Cornell St. Since then, he's been wondering what happened to the man who threatened his life.
"He just got out and pointed a pistol at me and told me to get out the car," said Carrington.
In addition to the armed robbery, Pettis is wanted for a high speed chase in May that reached speeds of over 90 miles per hour.
On Friday, July 11th, Pettis spoke to a crowd of reporters at a press conference explaining his choice to sue the City of MIlwaukee for illegal cavity searches.
"It's rough man, to not be able to live like a normal citizen -- to have to look over your back," said Pettis.
Carrington was shocked to see that the man wanted for holding him up was willing to make a public appearance.
"I find it incredibly revolting," said Mike Crivello, President of the Milwaukee Police Association. "Obviously he is overly emboldened to think that he can do whatever he wants within our community -- and he is wrong."
Pettis' lawyer for the civil suit, Robin Shellow, said she was unaware of any outstanding warrants.
"I've advised him to turn himself in and I've advised him it would be the best thing to do. And I assume he's going to do that," said Shellow.
Shellow added that although her client has been accused of a crime, it did not give officers the right to sexually assault him.
As of Friday evening, July 12th, Pettis remains a free man.
Milwaukee Police Officer Michael Vagnini is currently serving a 26-month sentence for illegal cavity searches. Officer Jacob Knight reached a plea deal and is awaiting sentencing.