Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

Investigators looking into phone records after Sarah Brucker’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DELAFIELD (WITI) -- There are new developments in the death of 36-year-old Sarah Brucker, a popular Milwaukee-area makeup artist and mother of two, who died in a five-alarm fire at her Delafield home earlier this month.

FOX6 News has recovered search warrants in which investigators ask to view the phone records of three people: Sarah Brucker herself, Brucker's estranged husband, and Brucker's boyfriend, though neither of the men have been called suspects in this ongoing investigation.

Brucker's death is not currently a homicide investigation, but law enforcement officials are looking into all possibilities, and homicide was listed as one of those in court documents.

The Waukesha County Medical Examiner’s Office released a cause-of-death report on August 13th, following the August 7th fire -- stating that Brucker died from soot and smoke inhalation. The manner of death is pending further investigation.

Fire crews were called to Brucker’s home on Maple Ave. in Delafield just before 9 p.m., and over a dozen fire departments responded.

A search warrant, released to FOX6 News on August 13th reveals an iPhone and Dell laptop were recovered from Brucker’s home.

READ MORE: Search warrant in Delafield fire case

The search warrant indicates a 911 call was made just before 9:00 p.m. by a neighbor, who reported the three-unit building was engulfed in flames. It took 14 fire crews several hours to extinguish the blaze, and the building suffered extensive damage, according to the search warrant.

Brucker’s body was discovered in the upper level unit, and was severely burned, according to the search warrant.

The search warrant indicates officials spoke with Brucker’s boyfriend, who said the two had dined together Wednesday evening, before separating for the night. Brucker’s boyfriend said she was the only one who lived in the building’s upper unit, but said he had recently moved in with Brucker.

Brucker’s boyfriend was visiting with his children at his parents’ residence on the night of the fire, according to the search warrant.

Brucker’s boyfriend told officials that the two spoke on the phone around 8:20 p.m.

Officials searched Brucker’s boyfriend’s cell phone, and observed several missed calls from Brucker between 8:24 p.m and 8:33 p.m., according to the search warrant. There was also an unanswered text message with the message: “Hurry. Please hurry up” — according to the search warrant.

The search warrant indicates Brucker’s body was discovered in the fetal position, with her back to the wall. The search warrant indicates there was a point of egress (an exit) near Brucker’s body, and in the search warrant, officials say it is unclear why Brucker would not have used the egress, “unless she was somehow incapacitated.”

Brucker has two young children, ages four and seven, who were with their father, Brucker’s estranged husband, on the night of the fire.

The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department continues to work to determine the cause and origin of the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.