MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Emergency officials evacuated a two-block radius west of Milwaukee's downtown on Tuesday, August 27th. A large gas leak forced people out of their homes and businesses for three hours, and Gov. Walker was caught up in it!
A contractor's backhoe severed a natural gas line on Tuesday morning.
"Somebody said they smelled gas. I said I smelled it too," Ronald Scott said.
Scott said he heard a hissing sound.
"The main that was hit likely suffered some extensive damage," We Energies spokeswoman Cathy Schultz said.
Complicating the situation, Gov. Walker was at the same corner, having just cut the ribbon on a new building to house the state's Department of Children and Families.
Gov. Walker remained in the building as the surrounding offices and homes were evacuated, and the fire department ordered all cars in the vicinity to be shut off, even those of police.
It took several hours, but workers eventually closed off the leak, and Gov. Walker was whisked away in his black SUV.
Still, authorities and Scott advised folks in the area to be cautious at the corner.
"I just been telling people, don't light no cigarettes, 'cause i want to live," Scott said.
Authorities say they are still investigating how the mistake was made.