Coverage of the Bucks’ run in the NBA Playoffs 🏀

Two dozen homeless after apartment fire in Town of Trevor

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TREVOR (WITI) -- More than two dozen people are without a place to live after a massive fire destroys a Trevor apartment complex in Kenosha County.

No one was hurt. But officials with the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department said because of all the smoke, water and heat damage, nearly everything in the building is considered a loss.

“When I came out there was flames shooting 40 feet out, two ends of the building,” said Ed Peterson, who lives across the street from the building that was on fire Friday morning.

Officials say it started around 4 in the morning and 911 was called shortly after. Several local fire departments and law enforcement agencies showed up to help. But by the time the majority got there, most of the people living in the 16 unit apartment complex were already out, thanks to the smoke and fire alarms in the building.

“When I heard the alarm go off I jumped up and looked out in the hall didn't see anything then looked out my window and saw this one on fire looked like a bedroom,” said Harry Schugart, who lived on the second floor of the building. “I grabbed fire extinguisher I ran outside going to kick the door down and put it out, but the guys downstairs said don't go in there it's already on fire. So I said okay and ran back in my place grabbed some stuff and sat out here with everyone else to wait for the fire department to come.”

“The challenge is probably that the fire is up in that attic space so they are trying to as you can see, they are trying to get enough water up on that roof and in that attic space,” said Sgt. Bill Beth of the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department.

Because of those challenges, the damage to the building was extensive. “We are talking about property loss to these families and that certainly is tragic but not as tragic as it could be,” explained Beth.

Everyone in the building made it out okay. Deputies did have to kick down one resident's door who was hard of hearing and help him out. Beth said that one of the firefighters was also treated by a medical team because she overheated.

Officials say they believe the fire started in the attic but were not sure of the cause. Based on initial investigation, the fire was not suspicious.

Monitor FOX6 News and for updates on this developing story.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.