MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- It's the season of giving and people are getting into the Christmas spirit by making a difference in the lives of those who can't be home for the holidays.
"We should all be here just enjoying Christmas as a nation but they're doing something that we need to do to keep our nation what it is," said Max A. Sass and Sons Funeral Homes President and CEO James Sass.
That's why Max A. Sass and Sons Funeral Homes are hosting Operation Christmas Stockings for Soldiers.
They are asking people to pick up a free stocking from one of their 5 locations, decorate it, and fill it with goodies.
"Lip balm, shaving cream, batteries, if they want to send DVDs," said Sass.
The filled stockings can be returned to one of the funeral homes and they will be sent to troops overseas.
"I received a call from a family last year and the lady was just in tears as far as her son receiving these stockings from us and just so grateful and thankful that he received this," said Max A. Sass and Sons Funeral Homes Director Greg Fischer.
Megan Barwick began participating in Operation Christmas Stocking for Soldiers last year while her uncle was serving in Afghanistan.
"It was nice to be able to personalize the stockings with things that I know that he loves around the holidays because he couldn't be with our family during Christmas and New Years," said Barwick.
Max A. Sass and Sons Funeral Homes officials are hoping to send over 1,000 stockings this year, with the goal of brightening Christmas for the heroes serving our country.
They will be collecting the stockings until December 1st.
The following are Max A. Sass and Sons Funeral Homes locations:
- Oklahoma Chapel: 1515 West Oklahoma Ave., Milwaukee, 414-645-4992, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- South Shore Chapel: 1314 Manitoba Ave., South Milwaukee, 414-304-5745, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Mission Hills Chapel: 8910 W. Drexel Ave., Franklin, 414-427-0707, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Westwood Chapel: W173 S7629 Westwood Dr., Muskego, 262-679-1560, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Greenridge Chapel: 4747 S. 60th St., Greenfield, 414-282-4050, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.