Mercury spill at Kenosha Public Museum warehouse
KENOSHA (WITI) — Authorities have confirmed a mercury spill at a warehouse in Kenosha Friday afternoon, November 22nd.
The incident happened around 2:45 p.m. on 35th St. in a building used by the Kenosha Public Museum, as well as other departments, as a cold storage warehouse.
Workers inside the building were processing equipment when the noticed a box that had fallen near the rear of the warehouse. The container was surrounded by a pool of silvery liquid which prompted a call to the Kenosha Fire Department.
The department’s hazmat team determined the liquid to be mercury. Authorities were able to gather up the liquid and clean the surrounding area.
It is believed the box containing the mercury had been untouched for about a year and was located in an area with minimal foot traffic. Officials believe no one was exposed to the mercury for any prolonged period of time.