Saturday morning fire destroys Mount Pleasant garage, home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MOUNT PLEASANT (WITI) -- A Mount Pleasant couple is homeless after a fire destroyed their garage and home Saturday morning, December 14th.

George Pfister says he moved his lawnmower in the garage and didn't notice that it ended up sparking a blaze.

"I had a lawnmower in there. I tried to start it this morning. Wouldn't start," said Pfister. "I grabbed a shovel and walked out the front door. I shoveled the driveway, turned around and looked."

The call came in to crews around 8:15 a.m. and half an hour later departments from Racine, Kenosha and Milwaukee Counties were able to get it under control.

The fire was so intense it melted the siding on the home next door.

"There is a wall that's required by the building code that is between the garage and the house. That wall did its job and helped keep the fire out of the house for a substantial period of time," said Steve Salvo, South Shore Fire Department Battalion Chief.

Pfister ran into the house to get his wife, Jenny, who is partially paralyzed and in a wheelchair due to a stroke.

"I took her out the front door. The wheelchair tipped over and she scraped her face on the bush out front," said Pfister.

While a lot has been lost in the fire, Pfister says he still has the one thing that matters the most.

"Material things don't mean much as long as you've got your life," Pfister said.

There were no significant injuries reported during the incident.

The Red Cross is working to find the Pfister's shelter for the night -- somewhere that is wheelchair accessible.