MADISON (WITI) — Wisconsin’s public school open enrollment application period runs from Feb. 3 to April 30 for the 2014-15 school year, allowing parents an opportunity to send their children to any public school district in the state.
The Department of Public Instruction provides the following guidance for parents who wish to apply for open enrollment:
Parents are urged to apply online directly from the open enrollment website. The online application will be available from midnight Feb. 3 until 4 p.m. on April 30.
- Paper applications can be obtained from the DPI or any public school district. Paper application forms must be received by the nonresident school district no earlier than Feb. 3 and no later than 4 p.m. on April 30. A postmark for paper forms will not meet the requirement.
- Parents may submit applications to up to three nonresident school districts for each child during the open enrollment application period.
- Forms must be filled out completely and accurately. Contact the local school district office or the DPI if assistance is needed in completing the application.
- Parents may request enrollment in a specific school or program in the nonresident school district; however, enrollment in the requested school or program is subject to space and other limitations and is not guaranteed.
- Most students who attended a nonresident school district under open enrollment last year are not required to reapply for the 2014-15 school year. However, if the student will be entering middle school, junior high school, or high school in the 2014-15 school year, parents should call the nonresident school district to find out if reapplication will be required.
- Parents may apply for their children to attend 4-year-old kindergarten under open enrollment only if the resident school district also offers a 4-year-old kindergarten program for which the child is eligible.
To assist parents in submitting open enrollment applications, a directory of public school districts is available on the DPI website. More information is available from local school districts or from an open enrollment consultant at DPI, (888) 245-2732 (toll-free).