WISCONSIN (WITI) -- The National Weather Service (NWS) is forecasting heavy winds along with overnight rain and snow which will affect morning commuters on Friday, February 21st. NWS has issued a wind advisory in the overnight through mid-morning.
The Wisconsin State Patrol reminds commuters that the road conditions may change quickly and become hazardous during peak travel times.
If you must travel, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) reminds motorists to be prepared for the unexpected and check winter road conditions before leaving home by visiting 511.wi.gov or calling 5-1-1.
Important driving tips during icy conditions:
- Allow extra time for travel.
- Slow down and drive for conditions.
- Be sure to keep plenty of space between you and the car in front of you. Sudden stops and sharp turns will likely cause your car to lose control.
- Motorists are advised to be extra cautious on interchange ramps.
- Commercial Motor Vehicles, especially those with loaded trailers, are advised to be especially cautious.
Additional winter driving tips can be found on WisDOT’s Web site: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/winterdriving/index.htm